Theme – Celebrating Disability
Parents of children with disabilities, noted speakers, and participant schools gathered at the Pool Marquee, Marriott Karachi to celebrate the International Day for People with Disabilities, 2010 – an initiative of NOWPDP and Inclusive Society Pakistan (ISP). The main objectives were:
- Educate parents of children with disabilities, from all major special education schools in the city, about their children’s rights and capabilities
- Publish a booklet with relevant information and contact details for parents.
- Create a network of parent support groups across Karachi.
The event marked the celebration of People with Disabilities (PWDs) in Pakistan. The event included diverse events in line with the theme ‘Celebrating Disability’ – ISP employing NOWPDP’s platform to introduce their behavioural management booklet to parents, and signing up parents for Parent Support Groups across Karachi. The event consisted of key notes, panel discussions, and children’s participation:
- Ms. Aysha Jamall spoke on “Celebrating Compassion not Sympathy”
- “Circle of Care” – a circle of children – that integrate children with disabilities in their school narrating their experience and view on disabilities.
- QnA Session – between parents and panelists
- Mr. Tahir Iqbal spoke on PWDs and their support through NOWPDP
- Mr. Intizar Hussain spoke about growing up with partial visual impairment as a child and the support of his peers and parents.
- Amna Khan (from ISP) introduced her organisation and launched the Parent Support Groups.
To achieve the aim of making the event inclusive for all the audience, the entire event was interpreted by Naila Aijaz from JS Academy for the Deaf.
Over 300 parents of children with disabilities who attended the event benefited by
- Increased awareness, especially pertaining to education and raising children with disabilities.
- Resolved questions and concerns by panellists
- Launch of Parents support groups
- Dissipated information about legal rights of PWDs
- The platform for all parents to come together and interact with each other and with experts, etc.
- Dewa Academy For The Hearing Impaired
- M.A. Ayesha Special Education School
- Pakistan Disabled Foundation
- Autism Institute
- S.C.I.N.O.S.A. Day Home
- Special Children’s Educational Institute (SCEI)
- Hum Qadam Foundation
- The C.A.S. School
- Aga Khan Social Welfare Board
- Pakistan Air Force Special School (Faisal Base)
- Ida Rieu School For Deaf and Blind
- Aziz Begum Memorial School
- Islamic School for the Deaf
- Arakan Muslim Secondary School
- Imran Rehabilitation Centre
- Al-Batul Health Centre
- Horizon School for Children with Special Needs
- Education & Rehabilitation Welfare Society for Humanity
- Al-Shifa Trust
- Special Olympics Pakistan
- Umeed Special Academy
- International School of Studies
- Shaheed-e-Millat School for the Blind
- Vocational Training Centre for Disabled Persons (VTCD)
- Ayesha Jamall – Head, Learning Skills Department, CAS School
- Seema Ahmed – Speech-language pathologist, Ziauddin University
- Anita Florijn (Mary Riek) – Director, Family Education Service Foundation
- Dr. Kausar Waqar – Senior Instructor, AKU-IED
- Intizar Hussain – Lecturer, Sindh Government
- Mr. Tahir Iqbal – Legal Rights Forum
- Amna Khan – Inclusive Society Pakistan
Sponsors and Donors
- Artistic Milliners
- Naveena Exports
- Shahbaz Garments
- Tata Industries
- Gul Ahmed
- Habib Sugar Mills
- Liberty Mills
- Sapphire Textile Mills
- Interflow Communications (Designed booklet)
At a Glance:
Event Overview: ‘Celebrating Disability’, and the events organized on NOWPDP’s platform highlighting it aimed to raise awareness amongst the parents of children with disabilities about the rights and facilities for their children.
Event Date: 3rd December 2010
Impact: Approximately 300 attendees
Funding Source: Corporate sponsors and donors