Theme - Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (PWD): Dignity and Justice for All of Us
NOWPDP aimed to achieve the following for PWDs:
- Generate a greater level of awareness about their needs and rights, and their potential as active positive contributors to society
- Project their rights with respect to social inclusion, economic sustainability and highlight responsibilities of key players in public, private and business sectors
- Provide networking grounds for partnerships between member organizations
- Provide a forum where people from all walks of life can interact with them and appreciate their multiple potentials
- Augment the present efforts of our members towards combating stereotyping and hence, their exclusion
- Contribute to the capacity building of organizations working for, and with, them across Pakistan
- Revive Government’s interest and commitment to expand opportunities for vocational training, employment opportunities and policy provisions
The Network planned a series of workshops aimed at capacity building for the representatives of its member organizations, followed by a focus group session where they discussed challenges and issues, ending in a seminar aimed at highlighting the legal benefits and frameworks catering to PWDs
Capacity Development Workshops
On 2nd December 2008, representatives of NOWPDP’s member organizations across Pakistan were invited to attend a series of full day workshops on organizational management and leadership skills. More than a 100 attendees nationwide attended the sessions that was conducted by leading trainers.
On 3rd December, an Open Forum was held at the Regent Plaza Karachi, at 09:30 AM. Representatives of member organizations, PWDs and professionals well-versed in the area of disabilities attended the session. The Open Forum aimed to:
- Outline the broad challenges and common obstacles faced by organizations and PWDs
- Highlight solutions.
- Converge people from all walks of life on a common platform to encourage proactive advocacy
- Help NOWPDP plan its programmatic activities for the upcoming year.
‘Access and Employment’ Seminar
The ‘Access and Employment’ Seminar followed the Open Forum session, on 3rd December, 2008 at Marriott Hotel from 03:00 to 05:00 PM. The Access & Employment Seminar aimed to bring forth the hurdles PWDs faced.
It was attended by high-ranking government officials, members of bureaucracy and media. Speakers, Mr. Abid Sattar and Mr. Abid Shaban, both reputed lawyers experienced in the field of disability highlighted the legal frameworks and benefits available for PWDs in Pakistan, and the problems arising in implementation in their speeches.
The entire event was designed in line with the theme – Convention for the Rights of People with Disabilities: Dignity and Justice for All of Us
At a Glance:
Awesome Flickr Gallery Error - SSL is required
Event Overview: NOWPDP’s two full-day workshop and focus group session aimed to provide opportunities for disability organisations to network and explore opportunities to push for greater inclusion with the government.
Event Date: 2nd December 2008 – 3rd December 2008
Impact: Attendance of 100 disability organisations
Funding Source: Corporate Donations